Waterwise Jewel-Tones Collection
Curated by Bonni and Christie, Landscape Designers at Shooting Star Nursery
Our Designers have curated some wonderful plant collections to make it easier for you enjoy beautiful, well thought out gardens that will thrive in the Rogue Valley climate. The collections include vignettes that complement each other and give all season interest, along with arrangement instructions, plant descriptions and spacing guidelines. The work is done!
This waterwise design will give you color and interest throughout the year as well as using less water and resources. This collection works well in full sun to at least 6 hours of sun in the Rogue Valley in southern Oregon (USDA Zone 7b). All of the plants are drought tolerant – see our How to Water Guide. Well-draining soil will suit them best. Most of them are deer resistant as well, although it can always depend on your resident deer population.
Order your plant collection to have it ready for pickup at the nursery and enjoy a 10% discount. The collection includes a planting plan for a 90-100 square foot bed. If your space is larger, feel free to repeat the scheme and order more than one collection.
The Waterwise Jewel-Tones Collection includes the following plants:
(designers can make appropriate substitutions depending on seasonal inventory)
SAL C. - Salvia ‘Caradonna’ (Purple Upright Sage)
– perennial with deep purple blooms in late spring, can repeat bloom when sheared back, 24-30” H x 24” W
PHL - Phlomis fruticosa (Jerusalem Sage)
– shrubby perennial with unusual yellow blooms in late spring and fuzzy evergreen foliage, 3-4’ H x 3-5’ W
SAL - Salvia ‘Heatwave Blaze’ (Red Hybrid Autumn Sage)
– bushy, woody-stemmed autumn sage that blooms from May to frost, shear back in early spring, 30” H x 36” W
CER - Ceratostigma plumbago (Hardy Plumbago)
– herbaceous perennial with cobalt blue flowers in late summer into fall, foliage turning bright red for a month before going dormant, 6” H x 18-24” W
SCH - Schizachryium ‘Blaze’ (‘Blaze’ Little Bluestem Grass)
– Upright, ornamental grass with green summer foliage turning to blazing red-orange in fall and bronze in winter. Cut back in early spring. 2-3’ H x 15” W
EUP - Euphorbia ‘Tiny Tim’ (Compact Spurge)
– evergreen perennial with green foliage, turning red tones in cold weather, and chartreuse flower bracts in early spring into summer, cut back flower stems to base, 12” H x 12” W
HEL - Helianthemum ‘Henfield Brilliant’ (Sunrose)
– evergreen, shrubby groundcover perennial with copper orange blooms in April, nice sage green foliage throughout the year, lightly shear after bloom, 4” H x 18-24” W
VER - Veronica ‘Georgia Blue’ (Creeping Speedwell)
– evergreen perennial with deep blue flowers in early spring and foliage turning burgundy in cool weather, shear back after bloom, 4” H x 12-18” W